Thursday, March 26, 2015

Fujinon 55mm f1.8 M42 Lens Review

I recently bought this Fujinon 55mm f1.8 vintage lens for a great price on ebay, It's hard to resist when the price is right.

This is the non EBC (Electron Beam Coating) version which means it only has, most likely a single coating rather than the eleven that EBC involves. Update: Whatever the coating is my impression is very good, I'm loving this lens.

The front element is set back quite a way from the filter threads which may explain why I haven't experienced any flaring, except at really close angles to the sun.


Fujinon 55mm f1.8 m42 mount
Having just dismantled and cleaned this lens I can report that it's of all aluminium construction with a plastic name ring and rubber focus grip. During reassembly I set its infinity focus point to where I wanted it, and then we're good to go.

This lens uses a different optical formula than most similar Japanese lenses of the time.
It uses an "Asymmetrical Planar" design more common with "Zeiss Biotar's"


If you want to use this Vintage lens with most M42 adapters you will need to remove a little tab from the aperture ring.


This tab communicates the aperture position to its original host, that being a 35mm film camera. I nipped mine off with a small pair of very fine jewelers side cutters, then cleaned it up with a very fine file. I have many such tools, as I used to do mechanical watch repairs. The adapter will also have to push in the aperture pin on the rear of the lens as it does not have an "Auto - Manual" switch. In my case I fitted a brass bush over the pin while I had the lens in pieces.

  • Aperture:         f1.8 f2.8 f4 f5.6 f8 f11 f16   Full Stops Only. 6 blades.
  • Close Focus:  45cm
  • Filter threads: 49mm
  • Focus Throw: Approx 190 degrees
  • Weight:           206gm


The Focus ring is just about perfect for me, with the dimple pattern and the right dampening you can move it easily with one finger and things just snap into focus, as it were. The aperture ring has just the right resistance, clicks positively but smoothly. Not having "half stops" is something that I like as well, I seem to know which "f" stop I'm on without looking.

Until recently I didn't realise how important the "feel" of a lens is, it makes a big difference, almost giving you that that "warm fuzzy" feeling. 

Like a lot of fast vintage lenses, and I'm being really picky, it's just a little soft at the edges wide open, not a bad thing really and there's a tiny bit of purple fringing in high contrast situations, but from f2.8 on, its really sharp, check the comparison down the page. The colours are nice too.

I'm not sure yet, but I think it's the Bokeh that sets it apart, I have other 55mm fast lenses but so far I like this one the best.

I'll have to take more pictures.

Fujifilm XT-1 fujinon 55mm m42 @ f4
 A bee in the back garden 50% crop approx

Fujinon 55mm 1.8 @ f4


fujinon 55mm f1.8 @ f1.8

Some Garden Bees At f 1.8 just resized

Some more Bees At f2.8 resized





For comparison, my neighbours car headlight. Re-sized and cropped.
Reasonably sharp in center

First is at f1.8 the second at f8
Try zooming by holding the CNTL key down and roll the mouse wheel.




At f5.6  Extremely sharp edge to edge


Fujinon 55m f1.8 @ f1.8




1 comment:

Judd said...

Can you pls. expand on the disassembly? I have a similar lens 55/1.8 nonECB version. Manage to remove the front hood with the name ring by loosening 3x small screws and turning it counter clockwise, I got stuck from here. Appreciate if you can give some advise or tips
Thank you in advance Judd